In fact, you must.
Even if you already have health insurance.
Because your existing health insurance does not cover some aspects of the bill for Covid-19 treatment.
Today, we all have heard horror stories of people who recovered from hospitalisation getting bills of Rs. 5-10 lakhs, sometimes even 20 lakhs in Mumbai and Delhi. Even those who have medical insurance find that the insurers reject the full claim.
Going by the experience of many of you, I have firmly come to the conclusion that we all must have Covid-19 cover. I even changed my mind about this and have covered my family of four by spending about Rs.10,000 to buy this cover for Rs. 5 lakhs.
While the government has pegged the cost of treatment even in private hospitals, many people find that hospitals charge much, much more than the government-stipulated rates. Instances of hospitals charging Rs1-2 lakhs just for PPE kits are not unknown.
Following widespread public criticism that insurers were not covering Covid in the initial days, the Central government quickly issued orders ordering all insurance companies to cover this too under existing policies.
But the small print in these policies means that they will not pay for consumables, such as gloves, PPE kits, and masks. Hospitals can charge whatever they want for these. And they do!
Your existing health policies health will also cover this ailment caused by the Corona family of viruses. Right now, there is no treatment as such. Patients are usually given paracetamol or asprin, antibiotics, vitamin C, Vitamin D and Zinc tablets. Once there are complications–often in people with diabetes,blood pressure, heart attack or who have had cancer treatment–there is need to be kept in the Intensive Care Unit with oxygen support. These cost a lot of money.
What does the Covid policy entail?
Buy the policy for 6.5 months or 9.5 months, you get protection for Rs.2.5- Rs. 5 lakh, at half a percent of the sum insured!
The coverage is available for 3.5, 6.5 and 9.5 months. I would suggest that you take at least 6.5 months,hope by the time vaccine may hit the market.
Even if you have pre-existing comorbidities, you will be eligible for Covid insurance. The maximum coverage is Rs. 5 lakhs.
Covers Ayush treatment.
Covers home care treatment expenses.
Premium is pan-Indian and is not based on any geographical location or zone.
The waiting period for the Covid health plan is 15 days.
However, for those above the age of 65, insurers offer the product based on the insurance company’s underwriting policy and the risk appetite.
Don’t wait. Get the insurance now. Get in touch with my office and we will help you.
In addition, do these things daily, as a preventive measure.
1. Always wear a mask outside (cover the nose and mouth), wash your hands with soap and water frequently (or use santizers if soap and water is not available). Maintain a 6-ft distance. Wash your mask and clothes when you come home.
2. Exercise vigorously. Do yoga, walk inside the house or on the terrace. Vigorous exercise builds immunity. Do pranayama daily. Blow a balloon (take a very deep breath and exhale completely in one breath to empty your lungs three times. Repeat thrice a day) or blow into a glass of water using a straw.
3. Apart from various home remedies, take 1000 mg Vitamin C and a multi-vitamin daily based on your physician advice.
4. Keep a thermometer and pulse oximeter at home along with a strip of Paracetamol and Aspirin call Covid doctor on toll free no 044-25384520( Chennai) before you use these tablets. A blood pressure monitor would be a bonus.
5. Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay sane. And take that Covid insurance!
Disclaimer: We do have tie-up with Star Health and Royal Sundaram for health insurance.